How Is Child Support Calculated In Oklahoma?
In most cases, the amount of child support that a parent will need to pay to the child's other parent is determined by the number of children and the combined adjusted gross income of the parents. Then, each parent is responsible for paying for the child's needs in percentage to what is representative to their income. A court can set a different amount when circumstances make doing so appropriate, which is why it is a good idea to reach out to an attorney if you are being asked to pay child support or seeking child support.
What Can Be Done If My Former Spouse Is Not Paying Child Support?
- Potentially, issuing a withholding order to the delinquent party's employer
- Garnish wages or bank accounts
- Intercepting tax refunds
- Contempt of Court
When deciding issues regarding child custody, courts in Oklahoma apply the best interest of the child standard and attempt to determine the environment that will provide the most stability.
The courts consider many factors, including:
- The age and sex of the child
- Compatibility with each parent
- The ability of each parent to care for and nurture the child
- Psychological, emotional, and developmental needs of the child
- Ability of the parents to communicate
- Custodial agreements of the parents
- Prior and continuing care that the parents have given the child
- Wishes of the child if over 12 years of age
- Safety of the child
- Any history of domestic abuse
Checklist of Things to Think About For Child Custody
Writing and filing a mutually completed custody plan is a difficult task regardless of your relationship with the co-parent. Below are things to think about when working with your attorney to draft a Child Custody Agreement.
- Ideal Parenting Schedule
- How You'll Handle or Split Holidays and Special Dates
- How You'll Approach Travel and Vacations
- Friends and Extended Family Visits and Rights
- How to Handle Schedule Changes
- How You Will Split Child-Related Expenses
- How You Would Like To Communicate Parent-to-Parent
- How You Would Like To Communicate with your Child(ren)
- How You Would Like To Make Important Decision Regarding Your Child(ren)