The only thing worse than marrying a narcissist, is trying to divorce a narcissist spouse. It is important that you get a strategy and support system in place before you begin the battle. Hayes Legal Solutions, PLLC is experienced in helping Oklahomans escape abusive relationships to narcissist to develop the fresh start spouse of narcissist deserve.
What are signs of being married to a Narcissist Spouse?
- Grandiose sense of self importance by your spouse
- Pre-occupation with unlimited success, beauty, or ideal love
- A lack of empathy
- Need to dominate other people to feel better about themselves
- Strong sense of entitlement
- Arrogant behavior
- Master manipulators
- He/she will make you feel responsible for everything bad in the relationship
- He/she has taken away your self-worth
How to Prepare for a Divorce with a Narcissist?
- Get a support system in place before you file for divorce. Beware that narcissist will often try to convert your friends to being their allies during the divorce.
- Find a good therapist.
- Identify what your goals are of the divorce, to help you know your end goal before the divorce process begins.
- Document everything related to your children and finances. Keep good records throughout the process.
- Avoid allowing them to create drama.
- Prepare yourself for a long fight
- Understand that divorcing narcissist can be more expensive because of the narcissist desire to continue exerting control over you and they often enjoy the drama of going to court. As such, it is important to find an attorney that will help you pick and choose the right battles to have with a narcissist. You also need an attorney with a good "bedside manner" that you connect with and feel comfortable communicating with. Before hiring an attorney, you need to ask them how them what type of experience they have representing spouses of narcissist and ask for examples of how they diffuse the narcissist.
Commonly Asked Questions and Answers about Divorcing a Narcissist
- Will my divorce take longer than divorcing a non-narcissist? Yes, narcissist often look for ways to prolong the divorce process by failing to provide information timely, filing un-needed motions, and other tactics that often protract litigation.
- Is it possible to divorce a narcissist? Yes, a good strategy with an experienced family law attorney will help you develop a strategy to beat a narcissist at their own game.
- Do narcissist spouses present well in court? Often, narcissist are great actors and manipulators so it takes an attorney familiar with the narcissist personality type to expose their shortcomings and make them loose their cool in front of a judge.
- Are narcissist often financially successful? Yes, narcissist are often the breadwinners and use finances to manipulate the other spouse.
Hayes Legal Solutions, PLLC understands the challenges associated with divorcing a narcissist and will help you develop a cost-effective strategy for leaving a narcissistic spouse. Set up your strategy session now with Hayes Legal Solutions, PLLC to start making progress to getting a healthy relationship for you and your family. Call/text 405-635-5578 to set up a strategy session.