Keep Good Records Related to Your Children and Be Involved In Their Lives.
Below is a list of examples of things you need to make sure have documentation of before custody litigation commences:
- A list of medical providers for the children.
- Preferences of the children.
- Involvement in children's activities and knowledge of who friends are.
- Pictures of being involved with the children.
- Involvement in school activities.
- Be knowledgeable of all details related to the daily activities going on in your children's lives.
- Calendars/journals are helpful to keep this information organized
Reach Out To A LGBTQ Friendly Attorney.
You need to reach out to an LGBTQ friendly attorney as soon as possible to help you develop a strategy for your upcoming custody litigation. You need to choose an attorney that you feel comfortable with and such attorney needs to be passionate about helping the LGBTQ community. Hayes Legal Solutions, PLLC will be more than happy to help you prepare for your custody litigation. If you identify as LGBTQ+ and you are a non-biological or non-adoptive parent, please act sooner rather than later.
Develop a Plan That Includes A Healthy Environment For You and Your Child
- Scrutinize your immediate circle of friends and extended family. Do not allow anyone around your child that is going to be viewed as dangerous or a bad influence around your child.
- Keep your home safe and secure.
- Do not host or attend inappropriate gatherings.
- Think about where you are going to live and what type of environment you are going to be able to provide for the child/children.
- Take time to care of yourself mentally and physically.
Think About Ways to Demonstrate Your Overall Parenting Skills To The Court
- Get to know the adults in your children's lives.
- Do not fight in public with the other parent.
- Do not fight with the other parent when the children are around.
- Always put the children's best interest as your top priority instead of personal victories
Call/Text 405-635-5578 or book an appointment on-line with Hayes Legal Solutions, PLLC today.