Almost half of divorces in Oklahoma end in divorce. Divorce is emotionally tolling on everyone involved. So, the last thing people need going through a difficult time is to get hit with is an exorbitant attorney bill they were not expecting. In reality, a lot of people spend more getting divorced than they did on their initial wedding. One of the most common questions we receive from clients is what ca we do to reduce our legal bills during a divorce. Below are our top 8 tips on how to save yourself money when going through a divorce.
- Avoid the temptation to use a non-attorney to draft your documents. Often, people ultimately spend more correcting these documents down the road than it would have cost them to work with an attorney at the beginning of the divorce process.
- Keep all the information the attorney asks for organized and provide it to them timely. Showing up to meetings with your attorney prepared will ultimately result in lower bills.
- Respond to your attorney promptly and provide the information the request timely.
- Stay Open to Compromise- Mediation is a great way to avoid the cost of trial.
- Try to Follow the Judge's Order.
- Choose your battles wisely.
- Stay up to speed as to where you stand financially before the divorce is filed.
- Have transparent conversations with you divorce attorney about what your budget is for the proceeding.
At Hayes Legal Solutions, PLLC we want to craft a custom strategy for clients based on helping them understand what they can do to lower the cost of divorce. At Hayes Legal Solution, PLLC we aim to provide well grounded advice that will result in our client's still having money left to retire on. Call us/ text us at 405-635-5578 to set up your consult.