A Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental condition in which a person exhibits a sense of grandiosity and high self-importance. People with this disorder or personality traits often during a divorce tend to have a sense of entitlement, lack of empathy, and need for attention, which make divorcing them even more emotionally tolling. Narcissist are often all about "winning" and often want to drag out the court process just to torment the other spouse.
Below Are Helpful Tips To Help You Build A Divorce Strategy Against A Narcissist:
- Do not allow a narcissists to pull your buttons- be boring.
- If you are a divorcing a narcissist., a calm, confident, and secure attorney, is a better choice for representing your interest than a bulldog attorney. A bulldog attorney will react to quickly too their demands, which will ultimately lengthen the divorce process and increase your attorney bill. A well -balanced and level headed attorney, can often have sucess with these personality types in mediation and beat them at their own game.3
- Set up boundaries early in the divorce process- Narcissist will often try to approach you either in person, phone, text message to talk to you about matters pending in the divorce and attempt to get you to agree to things that are not in your best interest. So, it is better to defer to your attorney when these issues come up, because they will have your best interest at heart.
- Avoid dating before the divorce is finalized. Narcissist are looking for things to use against you. Even if the two of you do not get along, it often makes them feel like they are losing control of you if you date someone else before the divorce against you.
- Obtain as much information about your finances before you begin the process. Narcissist often attempt to hide assets and not cooperate with disclosure requirements of financial information once divorce is commenced.
- Reach out to divorce attorney early to help you build an effective strategy on other things you need to do before filing for divorce against a narcissist personality type.
- A counselor can also be helpful for you to talk to as you begin your journey to freedom against a narcissistic spouse.