April 15th is a day most people dread, unless you are in a bad marriage. Uncle Sam and tax season often allows people who have been in un-happy marriages a way out if they are receiving a tax refund. If you are contemplating divorce, saving your tax refund to be used toward your divorce is a smart idea.
Hayes Legal Solutions, PLLC is often asked what type of fees should I expect with a divorce? Below are some of the most common fees that come up with divorce filings.
- Court filing fees- average between $250.00- $275.00 depending on county you are in.
- Process server fees- average between $75.00 -$175.00 depending on where you are having the other party served.
- Psychological Evaluations- If you have concerns about other party having mental issues that result in psychological evaluations being needed. These cost are often not covered by insurance.
- Forensic Accountant- If you are concerned about your spouse hiding money in a high asset divorce, a forensic accountant may be beneficial. Cost vary, between $5,000.00 and $15,000.00.
- Mediation- Private mediators $800-$1500 for the mediator, plus attorney fees for representation during mediation. Note, most divorces are resolved in this stage, which can save you thousands of dollars.
- Divorce Attorney- most attorneys charge by the hour for their time. Hourly rates vary depending on experience level of attorney handling your case and complexity of your case. Google tells you the average cost of a divorce in Oklahoma is between $4,000.00- $8,000.00 Hayes Legal Solutions, PLLC is very resolution oriented and often is able to resolve cases for much less.
- Supervised Visitation costs- $40-60 hr.
- Guardian Ad Litem- GAL's are needed in highly contested custody cases. GAL's typically charge retainers between $1500.00 and $2,000.00 to begin work. This is a third attorney represents the interests of minor child.
- Retainer- Fee attorney charges to begin work on your case. Retainers for divorce cases in Oklahoma typically range between $2000.00 and $5,000.00 depending on the complexity of the case.
- Payment Plans- Hayes Legal Solutions, PLLC accepts payment plans on a case by case basis.
- Experts- If you go trial, sometimes experts are needed to testify on custody issues and/or business evaluations.
Tax Refunds can give you the fresh start you need if you are in an unhappy marriage. By educating yourself about costs associated with divorce, it allows you to develop a game plan/strategy of how to get the fresh start you need. Instead of dreading tax season, you can look at it as a positive time, that allows you to get your new beginning.
Call/text Hayes Legal Solutions, PLLC at 405-635-5578 or set up your 1 hour strategy session via zoom or in-person for a flat fee of $100.00 directly on-line.